Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Security!

I made this patchwork out of the insides of security envelopes. I can't remember where I have seen this, but it was somewhere out in the blogosphere... My version is much more haphazard, I'm sure, since I did not have a plan, but I like how it turned out. I was looking to cover this ugly panel in my hallway and had grown tired of the piece of Japanese paper that had hung there for years. Sorry for these blurry photos. I took them in the evening when light was waning.
I had a good collection of envelopes as I am one of those people that thinks there is another purpose for pretty much every scrap of anything. I selected a variety of patterns and then cut out the glued edges and window panes.
Then I set about randomly sewing pieces with similar length edges together.
Once I had a few larger sheets made, I combined these into the final wall hanging. At the top, I turned over about an inch to create a tube where I inserted a dowel for hanging. Gave it a quick press with the iron and it was tossed up on the wall!
The back of it looks like a big mess like this. And the final product looks like this! I might do another with all greys next time as I am not favouring the blues, but I do like all the different patterns!
I left the bottom ragged with threads hanging on purpose. I liked how it looked!
'Twas a fun and quick project to do!

(When I was trying to figure out where I had seen this idea, I came across this. Love the covered pencils! Next project!)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love it!! It looks really cool. I like the blues.

MoonRox said...

Thanks Lisa! Hope all is well!

Juli said...

Wow, that's cool - I love the inside of envelopes! What a great idea for a wall hanging!

MoonRox said...

Thanks Juli! And it's easy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails