Monday, May 3, 2010

Tomato Chickpea Soup

I had a lovely Tomato Chickpea Soup a while back and was bent on re-creating something just as deelish! I Googled a bunch of recipes that did not sound quite right, so I tried a couple experiments and came up with this. Kind of a lot of spices that someone that really knows what they are doing may not use together, but the end result is super fresh tasting and flavourful! Here is my non-scientifically measured recipe. There is definitely some eye-balling involved when I cook, but I made my best guesses on measurements:

Tomato Chickpea Soup

Ingredients (Serves 6):
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large cooking onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic
6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
pinch of oregano
pinch of chili powder
pinch of chili flakes
1 tsp brown sugar
1 can vegetable or chicken stock
2 cans water
1 can tomato paste
12 Roma tomatoes, peeled
1 can chickpeas

Instructions:
1. Add olive oil to stock pot on low/medium heat. Add 6 cloves garlic and allow to infuse oil for about 10 minutes.
2. Add chopped onion and sweat for 3-5 minutes until onions are clear.
3. Stir in all spices.
4. Add peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable (or chicken) stock, water, brown sugar
5. Bring to boil then simmer for minimum of 20 minutes.
6. Allow to cool, then purée. (Add some cold water if too thick.)
7. Add drained chickpeas.
8. Return to boil
9. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!

Easy peasy! I made this as part of our Sunday dinner tonight as it has become one of the faves of my Sis and Aunt L. So good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails